Welcome to The Dark Side Of The Moon 40! The countdown has begun…
There are 1000 days to go until The Dark Side Of The Moon turns 40 years old in March 2013. These were the release dates of the original vinyl LP:
US release: 10 March 1973, UK release: 24 March 1973
(So 1014 days to go in the UK.)
And when you’re talking about TDSOTM it’s OK to use stats and large numbers. There are plenty. 1000 days, or 2 years 9 months, isn’t long when you consider that (to date):
- 741 consecutive weeks (14 years) on the US Billboard 200 album chart, longer than any other album in history
- more than 1,500 weeks (almost 29 years) on the Billboard charts, a record for the highest amount of time on the charts
- the refracting prism album cover was #35 on Rolling Stone’s 100 greatest album covers of all time list in 1991
- named VH1’s 4th Greatest Album Cover of All Time on their 50 Greatest Album Covers of All Time Special in 2003
- 9,000 copies are still sold every week.
But in all that time its highest chart positions were:
- in the US #1 for one week only
- in the UK the highest position was #2 only.
An album that has meant so much to so many, yet still hasn’t been #1 in the UK. Tell us what the album means to you, share your stories, and help it reach #1 by the time it’s 40.
Thanks to Timeanddate for the info below:
From and including: Monday, 21 June 2010
To, but not including : Sunday, 17 March 2013
It is 1000 days from the start date to the end date, but not including the end date
Alternative time units
1000 days can be converted to one of these units:
- 86,400,000 seconds
- 1,440,000 minutes
- 24,000 hours
- 142 weeks (rounded down).